Gateways To Growth and Maturity Through the Life of Esther

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Flu Shot Flurry

Time to get a flu shot again -- already? Seems like we just did that, right? Where did that year go? I decided to go somewhere different this year because it was closer to home. It wouldn't take as long, right? Today was the day. I went early. So did everyone else. The line was long, but tolerable -- I thought. It was the most disorganized mess I'd ever experienced for this event.

We stood in line to sign up, then stood in line to receive a paper, then stood in line for approval for what we wrote on the paper (?) then stood in line to FINALLY receive the injection that was going to keep us healthy all winter. What in the past took about twenty minutes was running into the second hour. Now, I know we were all senior citizens, but c'mon. We might be old, but we're not stupid. This was enough to make you downright grumpy if it wasn't so entertaining.

"My time is valuable," said one of the grumps. "Unbelievable," complained another. "I'm leaving," announced a dear soul as she marched to the door. "Hey, that guy came in after me. How did he get up there?" Meanwhile, the nurse was chattering away to a "customer" she happened to know -- while we not so patiently waited. An elderly woman helped her husband to find a chair. He was on oxygen and used a walker. (Seating was not provided.)

After 50 minutes I finally reached the execution chair and rolled up my sleeve. When the needle hit, I yelled, "Ouch!" Scared the bejeepers out of the nurse and the room full of candidates lost their tans. One meek soul squeaked, "Did that hurt?" The now silent nurse whispered, "Did that sting?"

"Just kiddin'," I said -- and everyone breathed again. Yep, it's time for the flu shot. Did you get yours yet? I'll bet you won't have as much fun as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment