Gateways To Growth and Maturity Through the Life of Esther

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Distractions

It was a clear day and traffic was moving steadily on the Interstate Route 80. I was on my way to preach Revival services in western PA. The 8-hour trip would get me there in time to freshen up for the evening service. I was scheduled to speak, so I had planned to have an early lunch and skip supper.

About an hour on my way, I realized that I'd forgotten my garment bag with all my outfits for the week of services. Groaning inwardly, I turned around and headed back the way I’d come. Checking the time, I realized my plans would have to change. Most likely, I’d have to skip lunch and do a really quick shower.

I had planned to wash my hair and shave my legs – guess I’d skip that too. But wait. I could at least take care of the legs now. I kept a cosmetic bag in the glove compartment. It contained a razor. So I retrieved the razor, propped my foot on the dash, pushed up my pant leg and proceeded to shave away.

One eye on the road and the other on my leg, I happened to sense an automobile passing by. I glanced over, and lo and behold, a state police car. I slid my foot into place on the floor just as he looked over at me. We locked eyes, he nodded, I smiled sheepishly, and he passed by. Miracle of miracles, he did not motion me to pull over. Eyes focused straight ahead, I held my breath as he sped away. Oh the wonderful mercy of God to allow an angel to temporarily block his vision!

What a lesson I learned that day as I thought about my foolish action. Sure, I could have been pulled over, arrested, given a ticket, and perhaps even miss the meeting for which I was scheduled. Worst scenario, I might have caused an accident, injured, or even killed someone or even myself.

Years before, when I attended classes in a seminary, I used to study Greek verb conjugations on the way to class. Yes, in the car while I drove. Fine example.

Whenever I have related the above incident, it has gotten a round of laughter. But what seemed funny at the time could have resulted in tragedy. We hear much about the dangers of using hand-held devices while driving. Laws are being passed prohibiting their use. As Christians, we really should not need the legislation. I’ve repented of my foolish actions, and thank God for His mercy to me.

Distractions can be dangerous in our spiritual lives as well. My spiritual journey will be enriched as I guard against unnecessary interruptions to my devotional time and other spiritual exercises. My wonderful Lord deserves my full attention. Distractions really can be disastrous when we don’t keep our eyes on the road ahead -- fixed on Jesus.

Care to share what distracts you?

3 comments:

  1. Sheesh! And they say texting is a distraction while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Well, it made a memory -- and something to write about. Thanx for your comment, MT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment from Janet:
    Penny,
    On your blog, the article Distractions, I remember when that happened, it was 1985, you preached revivial services. Also that week do you remember going to the post office bent over praying in tongues and lifting your head just in time to startle the post master, Also Kelley and I came by the Hotel picked you up and we went to the park, I laid a blanket out as we all bask in the beautiful weather as you read the word and prepared for service that evening, discovered that you liked Better Cheddar crackers, as you returned to Harrisburg, I sent you a box of better Cheddars in the mail.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete