Gateways To Growth and Maturity Through the Life of Esther

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I'm a proud mama

I spent time with my younger son, Blain, today. That in itself is always a blessing. We enjoyed a curry buffet at Passage To India -- a double blessing! But the greater delight was in learning that he had recently been called upon to fill the pulpit on a Sunday morning. Here is just a few lines of His message:

"Best friends are willing to go the extra mile for one another. There is nothing that we would not attempt to do to lighten the burden of our best friend. We sense the pain, the suffering, the stress, and the needs of our friends and we step in to lighten the load.


"These are just a few attributes of true friendship. Christ presents all these to us. He desires fellowship, quality time with each of us. We have found so much stuff to occupy us that often we neglect quality time with Jesus. Are we as open and intimate with Christ as we are in our best friendships? We put aside this time on Sunday to be with Christ, but does our friendship with Christ offer quality time with Him the remaining six days of the week? I have to confess that my time is sometimes pretty limited. What would you or I be willing to change or give up in our lives that we would be able to give the time needed to improve on a true relationship as a friend with Christ?

"I have been challenged this week in my preparations to look closely at my relationship with God as a true friend. Am I open with Him about everything, or do I beat around the bush in my conversation with Him? Do I even bother to consider Him in everything that I am about? I offer to you this morning that regardless of where you feel you are in your personal relationship with God, He desires your friendship even more. What can you do about it? He wants us to stay in touch."

That's good stuff! Don't you agree?

4 comments:

  1. Mama Penny can be proud because she is a very good teacher and her son learned well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so intimate. How lovely it was said from a pulpit as it gives us a personal example of a man speaking from experience. I always appreciate being given a way to proceed after I have been taught the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penny -

    A beautiful word!

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx, Mama T. I rejoice that he is walking in the footsteps of Jesus -- not mine!

    Bulleteyes, He has a way with words, huh?

    Susan, The rest of the sermon was touching as well.

    ReplyDelete