Gateways To Growth and Maturity Through the Life of Esther

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sad news for us -- but rejoicing for them

On Thanksgiving Day, I was privileged to attend a special gathering at the home of George and Jan Cross. Jan had been battling cancer for about four years. Her family and some friends came to her bedside on this day to give thanks for His goodness. Pastor Mel Weaver and others led us in songs and thoughts from God's Word. It was truly a precious time at Jan's bedside. Three days later, Jan was welcomed into her heavenly home. Her memorial service was held the following Friday evening at Grace Chapel. It was a beautiful time of worship led by her family.

Jan had accompanied me to India on a missions trip in 1994. We had also worked together in several settings. She was one of my very dear friends, and even though we did not see one another often in more recent times, she will be missed.  One of my most impressive memories of Jan is the day she had completely severed an index finger with a power saw. She scooped it up, drove herself to the hospital, and told them, "sew it on, I'm a pianist." They did sew it on, but it was inoperative -- and yet Jan continued to play piano beautifully. What a gal.

That's not the end of the story. Just two days ago, I received a call from India. My good friend, Marian Butler, also joined the heavenly host. I'm sure she was surprised to find that Jan had gotten there first. Marian hosted us in India, and introduced us to many folks to pray with and arranged for us to minister in various churches. Marian and I loved the River of God. She visited the states on numerous occasions, and always cooked Indian curry for me when she came. In fact, Marian taught me how to turn leftovers into a tasty curried feast. I'll miss her phone calls. She would say, "Hello, Sweetheart! This is Marian in India . . ."

Lord, thank You for memories so sweet........... and for gracing my life with their friendship.

2 comments:

  1. Marian left us with another nugget. In this season it is perfect for us to again use her phrase, "Eating is always good".

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is probably bossing everyone around -- and eating! LOL

    ReplyDelete