Gateways To Growth and Maturity Through the Life of Esther

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The happy blogger -- I think

I was supposed to come up with something for the Agape fellowship dinner on Sunday. (Lord, why is it that the pastor just won’t take No for an answer? What is it about NO that she doesn’t understand?) I never know what to say at these things. Well, maybe if I worked on a BLOG, something would come to me. OK, what could I write? The BLOG had nothing to do with the church, or the fellowship dinner. Oh well. So be it. I’d been thinking about cleaning out the accumulated clutter in the house. I do that at the beginning of each year. I’d BLOG about that. Somebody should be able to connect with that. OK, here goes.


Cleaning Out Clutter

A new year is soon upon us – a new start! I know what I’ll do. I’ll begin by cleaning out clutter. I’ll start with the closeted clothing that hasn’t been worn for too many years to count. Frowning, I leaf through hangers. (Listen in on a conversation that I have with myself).

“That one?” (But it was a favorite.)

“Well then, why haven’t you worn it for twenty years?” (OK, out it goes)

“What about that antique?” (Well, it might come back in style again – they always do. Look how I got rid of those nice velour sets and now they’re the fashion).

“Well, what about that blouse? You’ve had it forever!” (Oh, I know everyone in church will recognize it . . . but I should be able to wear it soon, cuz the old timers are all dying off. . .). Certainly, I’m not an old timer yet.

***

At this point, the thought hits – is that a sign of old age or bad health – or both? Maybe neither. Was it just their time to go? Perhaps their purpose here had been fulfilled. Hmm. In my pursuit of purpose, it may be needful to concentrate on my thinking as well as my closet.

Does this New Year find me with new purpose – or perhaps new resources to fulfill an already defined goal? Is the pathway to that purpose the same as before? Or do I need to try another, perhaps less traveled road: One that has no familiar landmarks?

Do I anticipate new pathways with excitement? Or with dread? How will the meaning of my existence unfold throughout each month that lies ahead? Each week? Or even each day? At the close of any given day, will I find the answer to a deep heart cry – why am I here? Am I making a difference?

When I sit staring at a blank computer screen, will the words begin to flow from within, waiting for my mind to catch up? Will the awesome presence of God enhance my daily endeavors this year? Will each today contain bubbles of joy that spill out to lighten someone’s load and transform a frown into a smile? Or will a present or past grief or pain cloud the room with shadows? After all, I’ve lost so many dear friends these past few years. My loss was Your gain, Lord.

What purpose fills my hand for each today that lies before me? What melodies fill the atmosphere around my life?

Yes, Lord, I think I’ll get back to uncluttering (or is it decluttering?) Whatever – Like Hezekiah, I’ll work at ridding out the rubbish from this temple (my life), inwardly as well as outwardly, so that hopefully, your purposes are playing their tunes in and through me throughout this year.

You’ve been speaking to my heart through this crazy BLOG thingee, Lord. Thanks. Guess I’ll end with a prayer:

Lord, give me the grace to allow You to fulfill Your purpose for me in the days ahead. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Penny -

    Amen to your prayer! It's also mine.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete